MIGRAINE SUPPORT
Thanks for logging in. Welcome. Please check out our miscellaneous side too. We all need a break from discussing migraine....Share anything on your mind.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MIGRAINE SUPPORT
Thanks for logging in. Welcome. Please check out our miscellaneous side too. We all need a break from discussing migraine....Share anything on your mind.
MIGRAINE SUPPORT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Myofascial release

4 posters

Go down

Myofascial release Empty Myofascial release

Post by Cathy Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:36 am

I know I've seen people mention myofascial release, but when I search it doesn't come up so I thought I'd ask.

Has anyone tried this for migraines? I know I've read about it and decided to try it two weeks ago.

It's really different and hard to describe. I'm not seeing huge, lasting changes yet. I'm also doing relaxation and imaging from a CD I purchased from my myofascial release (MFR) therapist.

The biggest change I've seen is in my jaw. I went in Saturday and had only eaten soup for two weeks. Now I'm chewing soft foods. It was amazing how the pain in my jaw referred to my neck pain which referred to my head. It stopped the migraine for that day but it did come back the next day and I was very sore.

I'm just wondering if anyone has seen lasting results from this therapy. I figure anything is worth a try in the search for pain relief.

Thanks - Cathy
Cathy
Cathy

Back to top Go down

Myofascial release Empty Re: Myofascial release

Post by Admin Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:33 am

Cathy. I know about jaw pain. Tmj. And I know about trigger points that cause myofascial pain.

This sounds hopeful from your post

Xx
Admin
Admin
Admin

Female Join date : 2010-12-23
Location Location : England

https://migrainesupport.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by 02R96 Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:49 pm

I've never heard of "Myofascial Release". Can you explain what this is?

Also, relaxation and imaging; the name sounds like a form of Biofeedback or Mindfullness (UK).
02R96
02R96

Male Join date : 2011-02-17
Location Location : Michigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:01 pm

Dan trigger points form in muscles. Any muscles. They cause referred pain. If they can be found and released pain should go. My husband got some from physio yesterday for tennis elbow. Tmj often treated this way.
Look for trigger point therapy.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Female Join date : 2010-12-23
Location Location : England

https://migrainesupport.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathy Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:12 am

Dan - Pen's explanation is exactly it. They just find a point that is the problem and take a type of contact - might be a finger, whole arm, or hand that they have on you. He also will move my arms while maintaining a contact in my shoulder or chest. It's hard to explain. Here is the link with more info on the method my therapist uses, the John Barnes method:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

When I went in, I had such jaw pain I hadn't slept right in 2 weeks and was living on soup, jello and applesauce. I am now eating soft sandwiches and have just a little soreness and it's not keeping me awake. He had a contact inside my mouth for a long time and it just completely released. I was amazed.

The CD is more along the midnfulness area I would say. Really soften and relax your muscles and then feel the ones that are still tense and help them relax. It makes me pay more attention to the stress I have in my shoulders and neck during the day. I hold myself pretty tight most of the time but I've known that for years, never been able to interrupt it. But now I'm seeing it start to relax if I pay attention.

There is a lot more philosophy that goes with it, but I'm just starting and don't know how deep I want to get into it. I would love it if helps the migraines. And chewing is really nice too. I'll take any relief I can get!
Cathy
Cathy

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Sarah Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:24 pm

Thought I'd resurrect this old thread. I had a course of myofascial release last year. I thought I'd never find someone locally who practised it.

I have TMJ problems, along with migraines, and I really hoped it would help. Sadly, it didn't, although the practitioner could see that I was totally wonky and pulled out of line (muscles really tight on my migraine side), so no doubt that's what creates the pressure on my jaw.

Another Sarah

Female Join date : 2013-02-20
Location Location : Essex

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathy Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:02 am

Sarah, I gave up on it too. I saw some results in the tightness of my neck and it really helped my jaw but there was not a noticeable difference in the migraine frequency. It was too expensive to continue.

If I ever have a flare up with my jaw I would go back. It also really helped my hip but then it comes back again. So I can cross that one off of my list of things to try.

-Cathy
Cathy
Cathy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum